Westfield Insurance was founded in 1848 by a group of farmers. The company ultimately expanded beyond insurance for farmers and eventually changed its name to Westfield—named after its headquarters location in Westfield, Ohio.
Westfield Insurance continues to provide farm insurance but also offers homeowners, auto and business insurance. Westfield is a regional insurance company offering personal insurance policies in 10 states in the upper Midwest:
- West Virginia
What Types of Coverage Does Westfield Home Insurance Offer?
Westfield home insurance policies provide the standard types of coverage you’d expect.
- Dwelling coverage: Dwelling coverage pays for damage to your house and attached structures (like a deck) due to problems covered by your policy.
- Other structures coverage: Pays to repair or replace other structures on your property, like a shed or detached garage.
- Personal property coverage: Personal property coverage pays to repair or replace your personal belongings, like clothes, toys, rugs and curtains, electronics and furniture, if they’re damaged or stolen.
- Liability insurance: Personal liability insurance pays for property damage and injuries you accidentally cause to others, such as hitting a ball that breaks a neighbor’s window or a visitor falling due to a loose step. Liability insurance also pays for your legal defense if you’re sued due to an accident covered by your policy.
- Additional living expenses coverage: The additional living expenses coverage within a home insurance policy pays for your extra costs if you can’t live in your home due to a problem covered by the policy, such as fire. It can compensate you for hotel bills, restaurant meals and services like pet boarding or laundry. This is also called loss of use coverage.
Options for Westfield home insurance add-ons include:
- Equipment breakdown coverage: Pays to repair or replace certain equipment if it’s damaged by electrical failures, a pressure loss or mechanical breakdowns. These items can include computer monitors and printers, dishwashers, home security systems, refrigerators, sump pumps and washers and dryers. Equipment breakdown coverage is included with the Wespak Estate package or you can add it to a standard or Wespak home insurance policy package.
- Extended replacement cost coverage: Extended replacement cost coverage gives you additional dwelling coverage of up to 25% over the insured value of your house. You get this coverage as part of a Westpak home policy or it can be added to a standard home insurance policy.
- Guaranteed replacement cost coverage: This automatically increases your dwelling coverage to provide any necessary amount for house rebuilding costs, even if it exceeds your coverage limits. Wespak Estate, a package of home insurance coverage for a high-value home, comes with guaranteed replacement cost coverage.
- Identity theft protection: Gives you up to $20,000 for expenses related to fixing identity theft, plus provides resolution services.
- Service line coverage. Pays for the cost to repair or replace damaged exterior underground wiring and piping like electrical, sewer or water lines. It also covers the cost of repairing damaged outdoor property after repairs, including landscaping, driveway and walkways. Service line coverage can pay for a generator if needed for you to remain at home during repairs or the additional living expenses if you must temporarily go to a hotel.
Westfield Home Insurance Packages
Westfield’s Wespak package bundles your auto insurance and home insurance coverage into one policy with one bill and one shared deductible. This helps if a single incident—such as a fire—damages your vehicles and house.
Wespak includes additional coverage options, such as:
- Extended replacement cost for dwelling coverage: Provides up to 25% over the insured value of your house.
- Freezer content damage: Pays up to $750 for refrigerated or frozen items that spoiled due to a power outage.
- Replacement cost for personal property: Pays to replace damaged or stolen items with new, similar items instead of paying only depreciated actual cash value.
- Extra perks: Other perks with Wespak include higher limits on certain personal items—such as firearms, jewelry and silverware if stolen—and additional coverage perks, like debris removal.
The Wespak Estate package is for owners of high-value homes and combines home and auto coverages with higher limits than a standard homeowners insurance policy. Benefits of the Wespak Estates include:
- Boat and trailer coverage: Includes up to $5,000 for damage to boats or the trailer used to tow them.
- Come up to code: Pays to bridge the cost difference to bring an older home up to code after repairs or rebuilding that are covered by the policy.
- Cyber insurance: Up to $100,000 of coverage if someone is a victim of cyberbullying or phishing incidents. Includes compensation for money you lost as well as counseling services if needed.
- Disappearing deductible: If you have a deductible of at least $2,500, it goes away if your total claim amount exceeds 10 times your deductible amount. Deductibles less than $2,500 may “disappear” for total losses exceeding $25,000.
- Equipment breakdown coverage.
- Freezer content damage: Pays up to $10,000 for refrigerated or freezer contents that spoiled due to a power outage.
- Golf cart coverage: Extends coverage to a golf cart you own.
- Guaranteed replacement cost coverage.
- Identity theft and resolution coverage: Pays up to $20,000 for identity theft costs.
- Mold coverage: Pays for damage from mold up to $15,000 with ability to buy up to $50,000.
- Pet damage and injury: Pays up to $5,000 for injuries to or damage done by your domestic pets to your home or vehicle, such as your dog chewing up an antique rug or your pooch being hurt in an auto accident.
- Replacement cash out option: Allows you to cash out and rebuild somewhere else after the total loss of your house, if you so choose. You can also cash out your claim for your home’s contents (personal belongings).
- Sewer or water backup coverage: Pays for damage to your home from a sewer backup, up to $100,000 with an option to buy up to $250,000 of coverage. Also, it will cover up to $5,000 for the cost of labor to install devices that will mitigate future water damage, such as water-leak sensors or automatic shut-off switches.
- Theft special limits. Westfield Estate raises the limits for theft of fur or watches to $25,000, firearms or silverware to $10,000, and cash up to $2,500. Most home insurance theft claims only cover up to $1,500 or $2,500 for such items and only up to $200 for cash.
Other Types of Insurance Offered by Westfield
Westfield also sells renters insurance and condo insurance. An umbrella insurance policy, which adds extra liability coverage that pays out if your home and auto insurance limits are exceeded, is also available from Westfield. Umbrella coverage from Westfield can go up to $10 million.
Beyond home insurance, Westfield offers auto insurance, business insurance and farm and agribusiness policies.
Alice J. Roden started working for Trending Insurance News at the end of 2021. Alice grew up in Salt Lake City, UT. A writer with a vast insurance industry background Alice has help with several of the biggest insurance companies. Before joining Trending Insurance News, Alice briefly worked as a freelance journalist for several radio stations. She covers home, renters and other property insurance stories.