*You may notice that some car insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our ratings take into account nationwide factors, while our state ranking looks specifically at what insurance providers are best for car insurance in Texas.
#1 USAA Car Insurance
USAA is an insurance provider for military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers auto insurance in all 50 states, but stands out as the best overall provider of car insurance in Texas.
Our research team found that this company has a strong reputation among auto insurance industry leaders, offers affordable auto insurance rates, and has competitive discount opportunities.
USAA stands for United Services Automobile Association. Founded in 1922, the provider is based out of San Antonio and has more than 13 million members. The company has an AM Best financial strength rating of an A++ and a rating of 900 out of 1,000 on the 2023 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study℠.
With USAA car insurance, you can get standard coverage and add-ons like:
- Roadside assistance: Including towing, lockout service, battery jump-starts, flat tire changes, and fuel delivery
- Rental reimbursement: Coverage for a rental vehicle while yours is in the shop for a covered repair
- Rideshare insurance: Covers you when driving for rideshare companies
- Guaranteed asset protection (GAP): Covers the difference between what insurance covers and what a financed car is worth after a total loss (applies to USAA auto loans)
USAA offers various discounts for drivers, including 15 percent off for customers who garage their car on a military base.
Learn more about coverage in our complete USAA insurance review.
#2 Texas Farm Bureau
Based in Waco, Texas Farm Bureau Insurance has provided insurance to Texans since 1952. Today the company handles auto, home, property, farm, life, and health insurance for over 500,000 Texas customers. Texas Farm Bureau has 300 offices statewide and employs over 850 multi-line agents.
Texas Farm Bureau is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and maintains an A+ rating. It also holds an Excellent rating from AM Best for financial strength and performed above average on the 2023 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Study℠ for the Texas region.
Texas Farm Bureau offers standard auto insurance coverage plus:
- Roadside assistance and towing coverage
- Auto death indemnity coverage
- Rental car reimbursement
Texas Farm Bureau offers discounts for multiple policies or cars, safe driving, and more. Although Texas Farm Bureau doesn’t offer online quotes, you can obtain a quote over the phone or from the nearest Texas Farm Bureau agent.
#3 State Farm Car Insurance
With nearly a century of experience, State Farm is the largest provider of Texas car insurance. State Farm has numerous awards and accolades. It has a superior financial strength rating from AM Best. It does, however, have a C- rating from the BBB due to its failure to respond to several customer complaints.
State Farm offers the same basic coverage options as other top Texas car insurance providers, and it has a number of discounts that can help offset costs. The provider also has great perks, including:
- Online quotes and purchase options for most coverage policies
- A mobile app that provides policy information, roadside assistance, and a place to submit claims
- Rideshare insurance policies in most states
#4 Geico Car Insurance
Geico is one of the largest car insurance companies on the market and offers competitive car insurance in Texas.
In addition to standard coverage, you can get mechanical breakdown insurance, rideshare coverage, and accident forgiveness. Additionally, Geico offers substantial discounts, making its already low rates even more impressive.
One of the biggest appeals of Geico is its state-of-the-art online tools and mobile app. Although many companies offer these now, Geico continues to prove itself as top-of-the-line when it comes to ease of use with both.
#5 Progressive Car Insurance
On top of being one of the top auto insurance providers in the nation, Progressive also has thousands of positive reviews from satisfied customers and awards from top names in the auto industry like AM Best and the BBB.
- AM Best financial strength rating: A+
- BBB rating: A
Costs for Progressive auto insurance can vary depending on where you’re located. Progressive car insurance in Texas costs less for drivers who live in more rural cities like Memphis or Ballinger compared to more expensive car insurance rates experienced by drivers in Dallas or Houston.
Progressive offers many coverage plans in all 50 states, ranging from standard coverage to more comprehensive add-ons. Plus, Progressive has many money-saving features:
- Name Your Price® tool: Enter the price you want to pay for car insurance to be matched with policies to fit your budget.
- Snapshot®: An app on your phone monitors your safe driving habits and could qualify you for savings.
- Deductibles savings bank: For every six months that you go claim-free, get $50 off your deductible the next time you need to bring your car in for a repair.
Keep reading: Progressive Insurance Review
Compare: Geico vs. Progressive
Based in New York, Stephen Freeman is a Senior Editor at Trending Insurance News. Previously he has worked for Forbes and The Huffington Post. Steven is a graduate of Risk Management at the University of New York.